Wednesday 10 August 2011

What We Ate Last Night : Chicken Wings a la Moro


Recently I received an email asking me if I would like to have the complete set of the (3) re-released Moro Books. Didn’t take a genius to know how my response was going to be. Man was I a happy sooty indeed.
I have had a copy of the original Moro cookbook for too many years now. I seem to go in cycles with my cooking. Sometimes it’s French, then Italian, then Indian, then Asian and in between my cookbooks get an outing as well. It’s kinda funny, but the Moro cookbook was due a dusting off pretty soon. But I’m never one to turn down a good offer.



I normally buy 2 or 3 chickens at a time and joint them, bag and freeze them. My freezer is packed with little bags of different joints of chicken.
I am a fastidious saver of everything and hate to waste. I have bags of chicken carcasses waiting to be used to make stock, although this summer as most of the time the weather has been to good to stay in doors for 4 hours letting a huge pot of water bubble away. After last summer I want to be out doors.
I am also a serial collector of chicken wings. After a month or two I have a good size amount to make some very nice suppers or more interesting work lunches. So with my new Moro cookbooks and a large amount of wings begging to be let out of the freezer, it only took me 39 pages to find what I was looking for.
So for this recipe you will need the following. It does say it feeds four. Yeah right, four little sparrows on a diet. So it did us two or just one of you are Nobu.

12 Chicken wings
3 Garlic cloves, crushed with a little bit of salt
1 Tsp paprika
1 Tsp cumin powder
Juice of 1 lemon
2 Tbsp Tahini paste
1 Tbsp olive oil

  1. Mix the ingredients together in a bowl
  2. Add the chicken wings and mix thoroughly until they are all coated
  3. Cover with cling film and pop in the fridge overnight
  4. Heat an oven to 220°C or Gas mark 7 or on a bar-b-q if you have one. You lucky buggers
  5. Take the wings out of the fridge and allow to get to room temperature
  6. Put onto a tray and pop in the oven for about 15 – 20 minutes, turning half way through
  7. Once cooked season with salt and pepper and serve with a thick wedge of lemon

An unusual way to eat wings, but the nutty paste and lemon make this a winner for summer. I love Moro, I just wish I could eat at the restaurant more often. 

No comments: