Wednesday 16 February 2011

Cook the Books : Made in Italy Food & Stories - Spaghetti al Crudo


I made this and took the photos way back in June last year, before I went on that trip. I just forgot it was there until recently, but as it is a great dish I though I would share it with you all.
Since returning from Colombia back in March 2010, I haven’t had the same passion for cooking that I once had. No idea where it had gone. But it went somewhere. Maybe the one dimensional cooking style of Colombia zapped it out of me. But slowly it is coming back, so maybe I will put more recipes on here. That’s the idea anyhows. But we’ll see.
I know I am a good cook. I’m a crap photographer who had a crap camera. Now I have a good camera, which took a beating over those 10 weeks. As I took over 4000 pictures. At least 3500 of them were of hotels and the like. All very dull. Now I just have to name them all for work. No idea when I will get around to that. (It’s been 6 months since I returned and I still haven’t got round to it)


So back to the recipe. This is a great dish for those summer months, when tomato’s are at their juiciest and most favourable, which is what Italian food is all about. The quality of the ingredients. It is worth for this one dish to buy the best of everything.
The below recipe is from Giorgio Locatatelli’s book: Made in Italy Food & Stories. A truly great coffee table book, with lot’s of great stories and pictures. Some of the recipes are not even worth trying unless you have an army of chef’s to hand. But it is full of practical advice and good tips which you can use in everyday Italian cooking.


The many times I have eaten at Locanda Locatelli I have enjoyed the food and the ambiance of the restaurant, although the bill’s have been some of the highest I have paid for food in London, and always left with a feeling that I wanted more. Especially for the price you pay. Over priced. Maybe. Good food. Definitely.
So anyhows the recipe in the book calls for

2 Tbsp Capers
4 Tbsp Pitted Black Olives
5 Finely Chopped Anchovy fillets
2 Chopped Best Quality Tomatoes
2 Tbsp Tomato Passata
400g Spaghetti
Bunch of Basil
5 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper

  1. Put all the ingredients except the spaghetti, basil, ½ the olive oil and seasoning in to a pan.
  2. Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Add salt and the pasta.
  3. Whilst the pasta is cooking, put the sauté pan on top of the pasta pot, and let the steam gently warm those ingredients up a little.
  4. When the pasta is cooked. Drain and reserve some of the cooking liquor.
  5. Add the pasta to the sauté pan and mix through. Add some of the water to loosen if need be.
  6. Add the rest of the oil and toss.
  7. Season and then tear the bsil leaves. Add them and them toss again. Serve. Enjoy.


If you would like to buy the book you can here. Or sample some of Giorgio’s food here. But for sure try this recipe in the summer if you can. It’s worth it.


No comments: